[linux-elitists] Dateline April 12, 2001 Microsoft: Closed source is more secure

Jeff Waugh jdub@perkypants.org
Wed Aug 15 03:02:29 PDT 2001

<quote who="Aaron Lehmann">

> BTW, does anybody know if this has *ever* happened? Some histroical
> precedent would be interesting. In theory, such a backdoor wouldn't
> last long, and its existance time should be inversely proportional to
> the popularity of the project (Mozilla DOES NOT COUNT).

Thanks to Telsa, who pointed this one out to me:

  http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-08-07-011-20-SC

Yes, it has happened, and it sucks pretty hard. There are numerous other
examples, but this is the most recent.

- Jeff

--
                    Mangoes are nature's edible orgasm.