[linux-elitists] Sklyarov/DMCA for the masses

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Fri Aug 3 12:46:35 PDT 2001

begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:10:31PM -0700:

> OK, running into another cognitive block.  My strong sense is:  copy
> prevention *is* encryption, merely an application of.

Crypto
application   "Bob"              "Alice"      "Mallory"

PGP            Bob                Alice        Agent Mallory,
                                               Secret Police

SSL browser    Bob's store, Inc.  Alice        M@ll0ry, 31337
                                               cr3di7 c@ard
                                               h@x0r!!!

CSS            Bob Films, Inc.    Alice's*     Alice
                                  DVD player

e-book         Bob Press, Inc.    Alice's*     Alice
                                  e-book
                                  software

(* as in "registered to Alice", not as in "developed by or under the
control of Alice")

--
Don Marti      What do we want?  Free Dmitry!  When do we want it?  Now!
http://zgp.org/~dmarti                      Free Dmitry: http://eff.org/