[linux-elitists] Fun with SirCam

Joakim Ziegler joakim@ximian.com
Fri Aug 3 08:27:01 PDT 2001

On 02 Aug 2001 22:57:36 -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> If you're typical of this list, you've been getting an amusing
> barrage of SirCam-infected file attachments for the past week.
> I've gotten dozens of them.  Each attachment purports to be some sort of
> MS-Word document, Excel spreadsheet file, or such, which were in fact
> lifted from the poor sucker's hard drive and bodily included -- prefaced
> by (it turns out) 137215 bytes of Win32 binary worm code, created in
> Borland Delphi.

> But, even though gobs of potentially juicy private documents are getting
> spewed across the Internet by MS-Windows users -- including reportedly
> some from sundry governments -- most of us have been simply discarding
> them as spam-equivalents.  Which, I submit to you, gentle readers, is a
> waste!

No match for "SIRCAMFILES.ORG".

Register, create a friendly web submission form for files that strips
out the virus and uses one of the many utils to convert the doc files to
pure text, archive all documents on the site, make a "give me a random
juicy private document!" button on the front page, and perhaps a link to
go through all documents in order for the benefit of robots, and point
google at it.

And all of a sudden, the web is a much more fun place to search for
potentially sensitive information.

--
   Joakim Ziegler - Ximian Web Monkey - joakim@ximian.com - Radagast@IRC
 FIX sysop - Free Software Coder - Writer - FIDEL & Conglomerate