[linux-elitists] Sklyarov/DMCA for the masses

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 2 21:54:13 PDT 2001

on Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 09:39:05PM -0700, rob@myinternetplace.net (rob@myinternetplace.net) wrote:
> Quoting "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:
>
> > What's troubling is what may happen where the market isn't allowed to
> > function freely:  what of a world in which you are unable to obtain
> > material except in a copy-prevented version.  This is the case at a New
> > York dental school, where texts are being distributed in electronic,
> > copy-prevented, form.
>
> http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/right-to-read.html
>
> > These are not "high security locks".  They're the equivalent of tying
> > doors shut with string, and outlawing scissors.
>
> Before this last quote, you mentioned burglars breaking down doors in
> the commission of a crime.  To bring the two ideas together, if I have
> a habit of locking myself out of my house, so keep a sledge hammer in
> the car, but because of crooks using them in the commission of a
> crime, I am a criminal?

The thread I was responding to started with a similar example using
crowbars.  Because they can be used to force doors, and because forcing
a door can be a step in burgling, doesn't mean crowbars have no
legitimate uses, or even that forcing a door is a crime.

Though there are tools which are apparently restricted or available
only under license.  Guns, explosives, lock-pick tools, among them.  But
it's easier in the US to gain access to semi-automatic weaponry than it
is crypto circumvention.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org