[linux-elitists] Sklyarov/DMCA for the masses

rob@myinternetplace.net rob@myinternetplace.net
Thu Aug 2 21:39:05 PDT 2001

Quoting "Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com>:

> What's troubling is what may happen where the market isn't allowed to
> function freely:  what of a world in which you are unable to obtain
> material except in a copy-prevented version.  This is the case at a New
> York dental school, where texts are being distributed in electronic,
> copy-prevented, form.

> These are not "high security locks".  They're the equivalent of tying
> doors shut with string, and outlawing scissors.

Before this last quote, you mentioned burglars breaking down doors in the
commission of a crime.  To bring the two ideas together, if I have a habit of
locking myself out of my house, so keep a sledge hammer in the car, but because
of crooks using them in the commission of a crime, I am a criminal?

rob