[linux-elitists] Sklyarov/DMCA for the masses

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 2 17:57:39 PDT 2001

This is the response I composed on SAS-L.

I think it raises a few good points.  I somewhat like the enumeration of
exclusive rights exemptions, ending in "Reproductions for the blind",
which are preempted by the DMCA.  Maybe there's a case for an ADA case
against Adobe (and other copy-prevention media vendors).  Serious here.
We need to find political allies, and the disabled lobby could well be a
good one.

Note on language.  I think I prefer the term "copy prevention" to
describe 1201 mechanisms.  This is what they do, or are aimed at doing.
It's mildly pejorative:  why should I (the consumer) be _prevented_ from
doing something.  "Copy protection" (Gilmore's term) sounds like it
might be vaguely benefition (hey, look at me, I'm being protected!).
"Content protection" is right out.

Comments, corrections, appreciated as usual.

Please feel free to adapt and distribute.

Cheers.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org