[linux-elitists] Legitimate crypto circumvention examples

Brooklyn Linux Solutions ruben@mrbrklyn.com
Thu Aug 2 17:07:52 PDT 2001

<<I can't come up with a context where a copy-restriction system
itself would be legitimate.>>

I was thinking the same thing, but I'm worn out explaining this.
Restriction of Fair Use of you property is immoral, and probibly
illegal.  It Congress claimed that under COPYRIGHT, they didn't have
the power to pass the DMCA.  The claim they are using their power
under the COMMERCE CLAUSE.

Well, Congress probibly can not use one of it's rights to extend
another of it's powers, especially in the case of copyright.  In terms
of Copyright, it's an infringment of individuals property and
free speach right.  Congress would not have the power to assign copyright
franchises without the Copyright Clause.  Therefor, the commerce clause
can not be used to extend copyright beyond it's confined limited.

So as far as what the point is.  What ever it does to help companies,
so it does.  And so whatever it can't do, to bad.  What right do they have
to extend copyright without a constitutional ammendment.

Ruben

--
Brooklyn Linux Solutions
http://www.mrbrklyn.com