[linux-elitists] Legitimate crypto circumvention examples

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 2 15:52:29 PDT 2001

on Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:14:44PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin Karsten M. Self quotation of Thu, Aug 02, 2001 at 03:06:04PM -0700:
>
> > This questioner really has a hard time comprehending *why* circumvention
> > tools would be legitimate in any context.
>
> I can't come up with a context where a copy-restriction system
> itself would be legitimate.

That's one of the points I'm making.

> If your questioner believes that copyright holders have an absolute
> right of control over all use of copyrighted works, you're probably
> in a pointless argument.

But in this case my opponent is pretty demonstrably wrong:  there are 16
exceptions to exclusive rights under US copyright law.  I'd defy him to
demonstrate otherwise.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org