[linux-elitists] Legitimate crypto circumvention examples

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Thu Aug 2 15:36:21 PDT 2001

Karsten M. Self writes:

> I'm carrying on a discussion on Sklyarov/DMCA on the SAS-L email list.
> Two of the questions I'm stumbling over are:
>
>     There is obviously no real point in people expending time, effort
>     and money in developing 'copy protection technology' if means of
>     circumnavigating it are going to be freely, and legally, available.

I think I agree with that.

> And:
>
>     The 'circumvention tool' exists only to circumvent the author's
>     attempt to protect material from being copied.

That's not true,

>     If that protection
>     is valid in law, then, as I keep saying, it makes little sense to me
>     for means of circumventing it being legal.

and I don't understand that at all.

> This questioner really has a hard time comprehending *why* circumvention
> tools would be legitimate in any context.  I've got a number of essays
> (largely from the freesklyarov.org resources) and am going through them
> -- Gilmore and Templeton's essays are particularly good -- but I'm
> having trouble pitching this at the right level.  I think this is going
> to be on of the cognative blocking points, we should have some good,
> quick, simple, right, and effective responses.

Not that it's what you're looking for, but I can send you my "What's
Wrong With Adobe DRM", when I finish it (maybe today).

--
Seth David Schoen <schoen@loyalty.org>  | Lending, printing, copying, giving
Temp.  http://www.loyalty.org/~schoen/  | and text-to-speech are permissions