[linux-elitists] Legitimate crypto circumvention examples

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 2 15:06:04 PDT 2001

I'm carrying on a discussion on Sklyarov/DMCA on the SAS-L email list.
Two of the questions I'm stumbling over are:

    There is obviously no real point in people expending time, effort
    and money in developing 'copy protection technology' if means of
    circumnavigating it are going to be freely, and legally, available.

And:

    The 'circumvention tool' exists only to circumvent the author's
    attempt to protect material from being copied.  If that protection
    is valid in law, then, as I keep saying, it makes little sense to me
    for means of circumventing it being legal.

I've got responses.  I'm just not wholly satisfied with them.

This questioner really has a hard time comprehending *why* circumvention
tools would be legitimate in any context.  I've got a number of essays
(largely from the freesklyarov.org resources) and am going through them
-- Gilmore and Templeton's essays are particularly good -- but I'm
having trouble pitching this at the right level.  I think this is going
to be on of the cognative blocking points, we should have some good,
quick, simple, right, and effective responses.

Thoughts?

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org