[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Wed Aug 1 13:14:16 PDT 2001

> > You are basically extending that thesis to congress which I find not
> > only likely but fairly probable. It is a very interesting idea.
>
> What's striking to me about Chomsky's premise isn't its outrageousness,
> but how blindingly obvious it is.

I know what you mean. It is one of those things that is SO obvious you
wonder why you never heard it before or even why you didn't realize it
yourself long long ago.

It is like that blind spot in your eye where the optic nerve connects
to the retina. I was something like 20 when my optician first showed
me it. I couldn't believe it was there and I had never noticed it
before.

It also illuminates several things. e.g. Why is was public
broadcasting so different than commercial broadcasting? It wasn't
driven by the same profit motive. It evolved in a different
environment. Why has it become so much like commercial broadcasting in
the past few years?  Because by cutting off its public funding, it was
forced to operate like a corporation. In other words, cutting the
funding for public broadcasting was not just cut with a sword, it was
a cut with a poisoned sword. By forcing it to operate like commercial
media, it forced it to come in line with the other media players. And
why has alternative media never caught on? Becuase the very nature of
their mixture doesn't work with the system.

-ben