[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 1 11:15:12 PDT 2001

on Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 07:03:35AM -0700, Ben Woodard (ben@valinux.com) wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:23:21PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > > Someone buy the Senator from Utah a cluestick.
> >
> > Oh, he's got one, just not the kind you might want....
> >
> > You have to stop thinking that these folks think that what they say
> > is reasonable. The role of congress has shifted from managing the
> > implementation of government as laid out by the constitution to
> > making money for re-elections. When a congress-critter says something,
> > it's usually preceded by the thought:
> >
> > 	"How does this get me more money?"
> >
> > Now, I ask you, which gets more money: siding with big business in their
> > efforts to eliminate fair use and esablish a leagal basis for the corporate
> > right-to-profit, or siding with the consumer?
> >

> There is an interesting book by Noem Chomsky called "Managing Consent"
> where the basic thesis is that the media is a free market with a
> product to sell and a goal to maximize profit. Over the years the
> media has self selected editors, writers, and presenters which with or
> without realizing it infuse their work with a slant that is
> pro-business.
>
> You are basically extending that thesis to congress which I find not
> only likely but fairly probable. It is a very interesting idea.

What's striking to me about Chomsky's premise isn't its outrageousness,
but how blindingly obvious it is.

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org