[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Wed Aug 1 07:03:35 PDT 2001

> On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:23:21PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> > Someone buy the Senator from Utah a cluestick.
>
> Oh, he's got one, just not the kind you might want....
>
> You have to stop thinking that these folks think that what they say
> is reasonable. The role of congress has shifted from managing the
> implementation of government as laid out by the constitution to
> making money for re-elections. When a congress-critter says something,
> it's usually preceded by the thought:
>
> 	"How does this get me more money?"
>
> Now, I ask you, which gets more money: siding with big business in their
> efforts to eliminate fair use and esablish a leagal basis for the corporate
> right-to-profit, or siding with the consumer?

There is an interesting book by Noem Chomsky called "Managing Consent"
where the basic thesis is that the media is a free market with a
product to sell and a goal to maximize profit. Over the years the
media has self selected editors, writers, and presenters which with or
without realizing it infuse their work with a slant that is
pro-business.

You are basically extending that thesis to congress which I find not
only likely but fairly probable. It is a very interesting idea.

-ben