[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Aaron Sherman ajs@ajs.com
Wed Aug 1 03:41:27 PDT 2001

On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 02:23:21PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> Someone buy the Senator from Utah a cluestick.

Oh, he's got one, just not the kind you might want....

You have to stop thinking that these folks think that what they say
is reasonable. The role of congress has shifted from managing the
implementation of government as laid out by the constitution to
making money for re-elections. When a congress-critter says something,
it's usually preceded by the thought:

	"How does this get me more money?"

Now, I ask you, which gets more money: siding with big business in their
efforts to eliminate fair use and esablish a leagal basis for the corporate
right-to-profit, or siding with the consumer?

>     SEN. HATCH:
[...]
> As U.S. attorney for
> the northern district of California, you created a section called the Computer
> Hacking and Intellectual Property, or CHIP. Recently Attorney General Ashcroft
> recognized your success in the most sincere and flattering way possible by
> announcing the formation of nine additional CHIPs units around the country.

Now, I'm not a paranoid man by nature, but this really scares me. A
law-enforcement agency dedicated (at least in 1/2 of their name) to
protecting corporations from violations of their intellectual property
rights? And this man is going to head the FBI?

So, how long before "stealing profits from corporations by re-implementing
their software" becomes a crime? I think IBM needs to start sinking some
of that high-profile "Linux cash" into political activism instead of
the technical side.

--
Aaron Sherman
ajs@ajs.com		finger ajskey@b5.ajs.com for GPG info. Fingerprint: