[linux-elitists] [declan@well.com: FC: Sen. Hatch "commends" DOJ for Sklyarov arrest, IP prosecutions]

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 1 01:02:19 PDT 2001

on Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 12:51:00AM -0700, Wil Cooley (wcooley@nakedape.cc) wrote:
> Thus spake Karsten M. Self:
> > Someone buy the Senator from Utah a cluestick.
>
> >     SEN. HATCH: One of the areas of prosecution for which you are
> >     particularly
> > known is that of computer and intellectual-property crime. As
> > U.S. attorney for the northern district of California, you created
> > a section called the Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property,
> > or CHIP. Recently Attorney General Ashcroft recognized your success
> > in the most sincere and flattering way possible by announcing the
> > formation of nine additional CHIPs units around the country. And as
> > you know, a subset of this area, criminal copyright enforcement, is
> > of key importance to this committee. We've devoted considerable energy
> > over the past number of years to Internet enforcement in particular.
>
> I thought CHiPs was California Hiway Patrol?  As played by Erik
> Estrada and Larry Wilcox?  Isn't this a violation of NBC's trademark?

Shit.

Hatch wants to redeploy CHiPs to defend our the DMCA.

All I know is that if Eric Estrada hunts me down, I'm gonna feel
*really* violated.

...and shouldn't you be ashamed at pulling Larry Wilcox's name out of
your prepubescent memories?

;-)

  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?          There is no K5 cabal
    http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/           http://www.kuro5hin.org
Free Dmitry!! Boycott Adobe!! Repeal the DMCA!!  http://www.freesklyarov.org