[linux-elitists] Microsoft prizes for rat finks

Rick Moen rick@linuxmafia.com
Mon Apr 30 10:49:35 PDT 2001

begin  Aaron T Porter quotation:

> Not exactly an accurate little tool, is it?

Yes, I wonder why that happens?  I see nothing in the Woody package
descriptions suggesting packages ssh, mysql-client, or zip still carry
non-free designations, there.

I notice that Woody has moved the pre-merge package listings from
/var/state/apt/lists to /var/lib/apt/lists/ .  FHS (2.1 and up)
craziness, it seems:  /var/state has dropped out of favour.  I haven't
read the rationale for that change, but it seems a pity, since one of
the ongoing themes of the FHS effort has been to get all the
miscellaneous cruft _out_ of the lib directories, leaving them for
object files, libraries, and internal binaries the way the name "lib"
would suggest.

--
Cheers,                                     The Viking's Reminder:
Rick Moen                                   Pillage first, _then_ burn.