[linux-elitists] Microsoft prizes for rat finks

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Sun Apr 29 23:32:47 PDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 29, 2001 at 11:20:37PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> begin Aaron Lehmann quotation:
Why only one space?

> > Yeah yeah yeah I know netscape is bad but mozilla still blows.
>
> To repeat:  I'm giving Konqueror 2.1.1 a try, and it seems likely to be
> (at long last) a good enough replacement for Navigator/Communicator,
> and then some.  I'm a bit burned out on Mozilla, myself, but this one
> just might be a keeper.

I have my reasons for disliking Konqueror. It requires an entire
desktop environment. It also tries to be a file manager and do much
more than I want a web browser to do. The actual HTML renderer seems
quite adequate, but not nearly as complete as mozilla's. Konqueror
could have competed with Mozilla on grounds of simplicity and
minimalism, but the decision to make it a jack-of-all-trades made this
potential advantage unconvincing.

Personally I'm bitter at the Gnome fellows for creating such a nice
HTML renderer (GtkHTML) and then going out of their way to make it
require Gnome. Last time I checked it didn't use Gnome libraries for
things except printing or other non-primary functions. Designing
GtkHTML as an independent library would have been trivial, and it
would be almost as trivial to make the Gnome dependencies and the
functions they provide be optional at compile time. The maintainers
(who happen to be employed by Ximian) have repeatedly refused to
implement this option, and have not expressed any interest in patches
that would do so.