Felten backs down.... Re: [linux-elitists] Happy World Intellectual Property Day

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Fri Apr 27 12:23:06 PDT 2001

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Ari Jort wrote:

> Jay,
>
> I agree, I think it's quite the opposite of defeat.
>
> Litigious penetration of the once foritifed walls of
> the ivory tower will attract the wider and sympathetic
> attention to this issue that I think we crave.
>
> Expose!
>
> Can anyone retell a preceding example of a legal,
> corporate so blatantly intruding into academic
> discource?  Notice, I said "blatantly".
>
> Our dispute may be rising to the pitch of the
> debate over ways of teaching evolutionary science
> and its competitors.
>

> ari

Sure, there were the NSA threats of the 70s and of course the World's
Greatest Programmer, author of netstrings, qmail, etc., a Hero of the
Crypto-Wars, first class with Special Litigation Cluster, got the medal
for his fight in the long case about his right to teach Fourier Analysis
101^W^W^Whow to crack the Vigenere.

oo--JS.