Felten backs down.... Re: [linux-elitists] Happy World Intellectual Property Day

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 26 20:38:13 PDT 2001

on Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 03:50:32PM -0700, zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] (z@valinux.com) wrote:
> Ari Jort wrote:
> <deletia>
> >
> > Can anyone retell a preceding example of a legal,
> > corporate so blatantly intruding into academic
> > discource?  Notice, I said "blatantly".
> >
> > Our dispute may be rising to the pitch of the
> > debate over ways of teaching evolutionary science
> > and its competitors.
> >
> There has been quite some furor over at UC Davis over attempts by Pharma
> companies trying to buy parts of the campuses for research. Monsanto in
> particular has tried to get students to agree to do basic research in
> turn for funding, but all research data becomes property of Monsanto and
> cannot be used for academic (public) discourse.  The school of course,
> has been fighting a war with itself between obscene amounts of money
> from the firms, and the cost of it's reputation as an academic
> institution.  So far MOnsanto has been getting quite a beating in the
> papers and by the city council of Davis itself - making it difficult for
> the firm to buy any more building space than the 2 that it currently
> own.
>
> Not quite as blatant as the SDMI issue, but fairly public by all other
> accounts.

Could you please use postfix response.

Key difference (not that I agree with corporate ownership of academic
research):

  - Monsanto, et al, are seeking ownership or control of research funded
    in large part by them.

  - RIAA/SDMI are seeking to quash by force of law *independently
    researched conclusions on a public body of knowledge*.

An entirely different kettle of fish, I would say absolutely no
comparison.  It's the difference between selling your soul and having it
forcibly taken.

Cheers.