[linux-elitists] Re: [arijort@valinux.com: Felten backs down....

Ari Jort arijort@valinux.com
Thu Apr 26 20:10:19 PDT 2001

All the details are by that url.

http://cryptome.org/sdmi-attack.htm

It's now on slashdot of course.

I happened to run into this last night
while I was looking over some online cs
curriculum at cs.princeton.edu.

I happened to meet Prof Felten about a year ago
when I attended a lecture that he gave on his
experience working for the DOJ in the microsoft
trial.  It really was a great story.  He
originally described himself as the bearer
of specialized technical knowledge, arriving to
elucidate the mysteries of computer science
operating systems research to the techno-illiterate
lawyer class.

Instead, he found the eye-opening happened in
the other direction.  As he became more involved
in the case, he became more and more aware
of how marginal a contribution his was, and
how overwhelmingly it was the law, itself a
grand body of specialized technical minutiae,
that would would govern the outcome of the case.

ari

http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/sdmi/
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/~felten/
http://www.cs.princeton.edu/sip/