Felten backs down.... Re: [linux-elitists] Happy World Intellectual Property Day

zeruch [Joseph Estevao Arruda] z@valinux.com
Thu Apr 26 15:50:32 PDT 2001

There has been quite some furor over at UC Davis over attempts by Pharma
companies trying to buy parts of the campuses for research. Monsanto in
particular has tried to get students to agree to do basic research in
turn for funding, but all research data becomes property of Monsanto and
cannot be used for academic (public) discourse.  The school of course,
has been fighting a war with itself between obscene amounts of money
from the firms, and the cost of it's reputation as an academic
institution.  So far MOnsanto has been getting quite a beating in the
papers and by the city council of Davis itself - making it difficult for
the firm to buy any more building space than the 2 that it currently
own.

Not quite as blatant as the SDMI issue, but fairly public by all other
accounts.

<deletia>

--
Joseph Estevao Arruda	|	www.valinux.com