[linux-elitists] Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Tue Apr 24 16:22:02 PDT 2001

On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:10:14PM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO wrote:
> No, IMO it is not.  It's not even a derived work of the image.  The
> interface is completely allowed as free software and the image is just a
> device with levers to be pulled.  Alan Cox is right when he says that this
> is just agregation.

I honestly don't care. If it's not free software, it ain't free. It
would upset me very much to see Debian to break their strict moral code
by making an exception in this case. I also would hate to see everyone
with similar values be forced to violate them by downloading and running
Linux (if you think about it, one may be bound to these non-free
software license just be redistributing Linux).

This isn't XFree86 or something (they distribute non-free fonts in
their tarball; Debian just removes them). Linux is a flagship project of
the free software movement and every poster to this list uses it. Of
course there are alternatives, but I really don't want to see max exodus
from Linux over a copyright/licensing scandal.