[linux-elitists] Open Audio License

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Tue Apr 24 15:06:17 PDT 2001

on Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:16:59PM -0400, hirsch@zapmedia.com (hirsch@zapmedia.com) wrote:

> Mr. Bad wrote:
> > Hey, so, what's the feeling on the EFF's new Open Audio License?
> >
> >         http://www.eff.org/IP/Open_licenses/20010421_eff_oal_1.0.html
> >
> > Seems pretty damn clean to me. Any comments (on the record)?
>
> I've been debating it with a coworker, and we're trying to figure out
> what real advantages it offers over just a freely (as in beer)
> redistributable but not modifiable license.  For software I understand
> how I get utility from releaseing my code.  Other people might fix
> bugs or add features and I can use their code.
>
> But as an artist, what do I get from other people modifying my song?
> If they decide I should have used a different chrod, or change the
> words, all I get it a little credit.  With the current system, I could
> release my song and allow people to make copies of it, even play it
> unmodified for free, but retain all my rights to modification. Then if
> someone wants to make a cover of it or a remix they have to get
> permission, as with standard copyright law.

Cf: Jazz.

ASCAP, the music licensing cabal, runs a law review periodically.  There
was an article on Jazz in one edition a few years back (late 1990s).  I
never read through the whole thing, but the basic concept is that Jazz
is based on improvisation of existing works.  Musical quotation is an
ancient tradition.

I'm trying to remember some pop song in the 1980s -- I think Depeche
Mode and someone else both managed to come up with the same cord
progression, one side lost that suite.  There've been others -- Credence
Clearwater Revival comes to mind, though it may have been whatshisface
independently (not John Henley, was it?).  Sting's quoted classical
music in several pieces, the most memorable of which is in "Russians" on
"Dream of the Blue Turtles", which quotes from, IIRC, Rismky-Korsakov.
I remember a BBC program a few years back which included an analysis of
some rock/pop tunes and the classics they borrowed from.

Sharing enriches the musical repetoire.