[linux-elitists] Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Tue Apr 24 14:24:51 PDT 2001

Greg KH writes:

> On Tue, Apr 24, 2001 at 01:56:14PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:
> > On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Greg KH wrote:
> > > So what kind of wording should a company put on a chunk of binary
> > > firmware that they need to get downloaded by a driver into their device,
> > > and they need this image to be linked into the kernel?  They aren't
> > > willing to open up the firmware source to the world, but they are
> > > documenting the interface to their device and the firmware.
> > >

> <nice treaty on the benefits of "free" licenses snipped>
>
> You didn't answer my question :)
>
> Again, if a company will not release the source code to their firmware,
> what kind of license can they put on the compiled binary that is
> acceptable to be placed into the Linux kernel?

Probably none: isn't this just another form of "hardware vendors won't
release necessary information to permit development of a free driver"?

Remember that it's rarely, lately, "hardware vendors won't release
necessary information to permit development of a driver"; it's much
more often been "hardware vendors won't release necessary information
to permit development of a free driver".

I know it _looks_ kind of like a free driver, but remember that, for
some purposes, the license content is much more important than the
appearances.