[linux-elitists] Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Mon Apr 23 09:46:01 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 12:26:53PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> I think that honesty is the best policy here.  Licenses should be treated
> as licenses.  Licenses should be clear and those who wish to use the
> software should abide by the terms of the license.

I agree totally.

So what kind of wording should a company put on a chunk of binary
firmware that they need to get downloaded by a driver into their device,
and they need this image to be linked into the kernel?  They aren't
willing to open up the firmware source to the world, but they are
documenting the interface to their device and the firmware.

You've seen the mess that happens when I tried to do this in the past :)

greg k-h