[linux-elitists] Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Jay Sulzberger jays@panix.com
Mon Apr 23 09:26:53 PDT 2001

On Mon, 23 Apr 2001, Greg KH wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:50:13AM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > On Mon, Apr 23, 2001 at 08:47:10AM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > > The firmware is not free software
> >
> > So Debian should pull it. And prefereably Linus too.
>
> Then have fun romping through the kernel tree pulling all of the other
> firmware with the same kind of license :)
>
> Even with the firmware images that have a GPL slapped on them, can you
> get the firmware source from the companies?  What about the license that
> says "Please do not ask for the source for this."?  Loads of these kinds
> of things are in that tree.  And there's only more coming, as more
> devices get built that need firmware images.
> What about those old sound card drivers that people picked the firmware
> out of the DOS drivers and stuck into the kernel?
>
> As this has been the encouraged way for companies to work with Linux, I
> think it is not such a good idea to go back on it now.
>
> greg k-h

I think that honesty is the best policy here.  Licenses should be treated
as licenses.  Licenses should be clear and those who wish to use the
software should abide by the terms of the license.

oo--JS.