[linux-elitists] Fwd: Copyright infringement in linux/drivers/usb/serial/keyspan*fw.h

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Sun Apr 22 20:33:50 PDT 2001

On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 08:17:45PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 22, 2001 at 03:34:58PM -0700, Aaron Lehmann wrote:
> > This concerns me.
>
> Bah, it's interesting to see that Adam has appealed to others when he
> has lost with the original developers.

The copyright problems don't concern me much; but I am worried about
the binary code in those header files. Adam claims it's not
GPL-compatable. And it sure doesn't look like free software:

 "The firmware contained herein as keyspan_usa18x_fw.h is Copyright (C)
1999-2000 Keyspan, A division of InnoSys Incorporated ("Keyspan"), as
an unpublished work. This notice does not imply unrestricted or public
access to this firmware which is a trade secret of Keyspan, and which
may not be reproduced, used, sold or transferred to any third party
without Keyspan's prior written consent. All Rights Reserved."