[linux-elitists] K5 Submission Queue changes, RFC

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sun Apr 22 00:52:04 PDT 2001

on Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 09:24:11PM -0700, Don Marti (dmarti@zgp.org) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 02:55:22PM -0700:
>
> > I've submitted a substantial critique and set of suggestions for fixing
> > problems with the Kuro5hin.org (K5) submission queue.  I'm appealing to
> > this list for comments and feedback from those interested in the topic.
>
> First of all, I think the quality of a discussion forum goes up when
> people can use their own editors of choice. The "mailmethis" hack
> is one way; NNTP is another. Lynx has an external editor feature
> that doesn't require any work on the site's part other than general
> Lynx-friendliness, but it only helps people who use that browser.

As does w3m.

Some agreement on this point. I've though of encouraging sites to
restrict edit boxes to something like a 4 x 20 box.  Too small to edit.
Why?

Force the user to use a real editor.   Get them to proof their own
documents.  Spell check.  Then paste the schmeil into the browser.

> The specific problem Karsten mentioned though is the "last weeks's geek
> news archive", also known as the kuro5hin queue.

Thanks, Don.  So what does that make print ;-)

> Of course, kuro5hin is its own thing, and not just a meta-news site, but
> in order to keep the front page a little more current...
>
> 1. Every n hours, post the best-rated article from the queue no matter
> what. Or time "forced posts" to known usage patterns for the site; if
> you know you have a lot of traffic at 11:00 AM PST, always post two
> articles at 10. (_Fill_ that news hole!)

Fair point.  Hadn't thought of tying this to traffic patterns.  Standard
10am - 3pm midday hump.  Midnight slack, 6am pick-up.  Rusty, you taking
notes?  Roblimo, you on this list?

> 2. Allow authors to set a time limit when their submission expires,
> and whether they will only accept the front page, or a section. This
> is analogous to the options a freelance writer has when submitting
> stuff for Linux Journal.

I've suggested this.

> 3. Give some people more votes on the submission page than others. Maybe
> make the number of votes a function of the number of days on which the
> user has visited the site. This might cancel out the "more votes takes
> more time" problem.

The voting system is going to change.  More votes isn't really the
issue.