[linux-elitists] K5 Submission Queue changes, RFC

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Sat Apr 21 21:24:11 PDT 2001

begin  Karsten M. Self quotation of Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 02:55:22PM -0700:

> I've submitted a substantial critique and set of suggestions for fixing
> problems with the Kuro5hin.org (K5) submission queue.  I'm appealing to
> this list for comments and feedback from those interested in the topic.

First of all, I think the quality of a discussion forum goes up when
people can use their own editors of choice. The "mailmethis" hack
is one way; NNTP is another. Lynx has an external editor feature
that doesn't require any work on the site's part other than general
Lynx-friendliness, but it only helps people who use that browser.

The specific problem Karsten mentioned though is the "last weeks's geek
news archive", also known as the kuro5hin queue.

Of course, kuro5hin is its own thing, and not just a meta-news site, but
in order to keep the front page a little more current...

1. Every n hours, post the best-rated article from the queue no matter
what. Or time "forced posts" to known usage patterns for the site; if
you know you have a lot of traffic at 11:00 AM PST, always post two
articles at 10. (_Fill_ that news hole!)

2. Allow authors to set a time limit when their submission expires, and
whether they will only accept the front page, or a section. This is
analogous to the options a freelance writer has when submitting stuff
for Linux Journal.

3. Give some people more votes on the submission page than others. Maybe
make the number of votes a function of the number of days on which the
user has visited the site. This might cancel out the "more votes takes
more time" problem.