[linux-elitists] Re: Mining the archives

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Fri Apr 20 11:48:26 PDT 2001

> Good point. Running it through sendmail, as I suggested, handles it
> exactly as if it had arrived normally, in my case putting it in my
> "lists" mailbox. But your way saves steps if you use Emacs for your
> mail.
>
> > I am often irritated by web-based discussion groups because they
> > cripple you by requiring the use of web forms and bad quoting.
>
> Meanwhile mailing lists irritate other people because of large amounts
> of traffic and difficult-to-browse archives. What the world needs is the
> bastard spawn of a list and a web board.

http://www.hypernews.org/

I joined several of the Hypernews forums for HTML subjects ages ago.  I
hadn't visited their website in a year or two, but I knew it was there
because I occasionally get, and on rare occasion answer, messages that
arrive in those forums... all via email of course.

It's existed for ages but the meme space is polluted because "hypernews"
has been used mulitple times, one of them for something which is a mere
mbox-to-webarchive converter instead.  I think they have a history section
which describes what all the others changed their names to.

One thing I *have* learned in my years on the 'net is if you think something
is the kind of thing that is needed, there are probably at least 3 aborted
academic projects doing that, and at least one utter no-name with a seperately
crafted instance of the same idea that at least works for him.  There is more
stuff known to the 'net, Horatio, than can be found via Freshmeat.

* Heather * Immature poets imitate, mature poets steal.
		-- T.S. Eliot, "Philip Massinger"