Mining the archives (was Re: [linux-elitists] Laptop mania)

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 19 19:48:17 PDT 2001

on Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 06:50:08PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> begin  Jack Moffitt quotation:

> (But, of course, the common sort of Web browsers _read newsgroups_ -- or
> did you miss the implication of the URL in my prior post.

More than a few corporate sites filter 119.  Some, in fact, filter
everything but http and very little else (one I knew allowed only
telnet, ftp, and http/https outbound).

My own philosophy on this issue is:  this is your problem.  Either get
your employer to allow useful services, punch a hole, or find a real job
(I should talk).