Mining the archives (was Re: [linux-elitists] Laptop mania)

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Apr 19 17:03:39 PDT 2001

begin  Bulent Murtezaoglu quotation of Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 06:28:50PM -0400:

> I think this is a neat idea especially since you can use gnuclient
> to pull the thing in directly to emacs.

Good point. Running it through sendmail, as I suggested, handles it
exactly as if it had arrived normally, in my case putting it in my
"lists" mailbox. But your way saves steps if you use Emacs for your
mail.

> I am often irritated by web-based discussion groups because they
> cripple you by requiring the use of web forms and bad quoting.

Meanwhile mailing lists irritate other people because of large amounts
of traffic and difficult-to-browse archives. What the world needs is the
bastard spawn of a list and a web board.

> I wonder if the same kind of
> mime handler trickery can be used to interface with those systems from
> the comfort of an editor of choice (it seems it can be with some
> effort on the webmaster's part and some elisp).

All the webmaster has to do is offer links to individual messages in a
distinctive MIME type -- then you can write a HTTP posting script that
you call from your editor. Shouldn't be too hard.

(You'll read it on the Linux Journal site tomorrow...Douglas Engelbart
has agreed to help Prodigy in the BT patent infringement case.  Also
I just called the Happy Hacking Keyboard people for a review unit
of their new model with inverted-T cursor keys.  No more "Mom can you
make me some sandwiches?  I'm off to hit Escape, be back for dinner")