[linux-elitists] GPL and binary distribution

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Mon Apr 16 15:04:26 PDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 05:47:46PM -0400, Jay Sulzberger wrote:

> GPL is a license for a copyrighted work.
>
> If there are any doubts about what the license means then consult
>
> 1.  lawyers for the company which has doubts
>
> 2.  the copyright holder
>
> 3.  me.

I agree, but does the GPL enable someone distributing a binary of a
GPLed work to put restrictions on the further distribution of that
binary?

We aren't talking about refusing to provide the source here at all,
which is one of the main points of the GPL.

And yes, copyright and GPL are separate and I understand that (I have
code that I own copyright that I have distributed under different
licenses in the past (GPL and others, although the others have now all
been dropped and everything is GPL I am happy to report.))

thanks,

greg k-h
--
greg@(kroah|wirex).com