[linux-elitists] GPL and binary distribution

Greg KH greg@wirex.com
Mon Apr 16 14:37:30 PDT 2001

In discussions today with a manager at place I work (no names here, but
it's probably obvious...) the argument was raised (yet again) that once
we compile a GPL program, we can limit the distribution of that binary
version (and since we use a different version of the gcc compiler from
everyone else, our binaries are unique from everyone else's.)

Originally their argument was claiming that we could assert copyright on
that binary version, but Steve Beattie (also on this list) made the very
good point that a binary is a derived work, and hence you can't
arbitrary claim copyright of it.

So what I'm looking for is anything that either refutes the argument
that we can limit the distribution of a binary version of a GPL program,
or that supports it (I really am not looking for arguments to back up
his point, but in fairness, and the fact that I'm afraid he's correct,
I'll accept it :)

thanks,

greg k-h

--