[linux-elitists] WHOIS queries blocked by ripe.net

Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de Eugene.Leitl@lrz.uni-muenchen.de
Sun Apr 15 05:09:52 PDT 2001

Seth David Schoen wrote:

> Geographical aggregation, how quaint. :-) :-)

Quaint? In the world I woke up today signalling is still
constrainted to subluminal speeds. At 10 GBps a bit is
less than 3 cm long, and current cheap hardware can measure
relativistic pings at better than cm resolution (e.g.
Chuck Moore's one-wire keyboard).

> (Yeah, I know that most of the world is still affected by geography
> in computer networking, not least in Internet routing, but there's

At the high end, you want to mimize latency, maximize throughput,
and minimize number of hardware boxes along the route who
have to touch your message.

Of course you can mount arbitrary numbers of abstractions
on top of this hardware layer, but you can't prevent the
bare iron from shining through (at least as long as you
can't adapt your own timebase arbitrarily).

> this amusing story about the path a packet takes to get from one
> floor of a building in San Francisco to another floor of the same
> building.  On one occasion it involved _two_ trips to the East Coast
> first.)

What I'm waiting is when people start dropping TCP/IP, and how
exactly the migration to geodetic routing protocols will look like.