[linux-elitists] WHOIS queries blocked by ripe.net

Seth David Schoen schoen@loyalty.org
Sat Apr 14 21:17:42 PDT 2001

Karsten M. Self writes:

>     [karsten@navel:karsten]$ whois 195.120.110.130
>
>     % Rights restricted by copyright. See
>     % http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html
>

>     ******************************
>     * A C C E S S    D E N I E D *
>     ******************************
>
>     Access to whois service at whois.ripe.net was **DENIED**
>     Your host (209.179.245.236) is blocked from RIPE database access
>     due to recent excessive querying or other abusive behaviour.
>     For more information please contact ripe-dbm@ripe.net
>
> I'm not familiar with ripe.net (hadn't heard of them before).

They are the European regional IP registry, like ARIN in the Americas
or APNIC in Asia and the Pacific.  If you want IP addresses in Europe,
you go to them (except if you aren't a huge ISP, in which case you go
to your upstream ISP).

Geographical aggregation, how quaint. :-) :-)

(Yeah, I know that most of the world is still affected by geography
in computer networking, not least in Internet routing, but there's
this amusing story about the path a packet takes to get from one
floor of a building in San Francisco to another floor of the same
building.  On one occasion it involved _two_ trips to the East Coast
first.)

I repeated your query from this machine and got a response as follows:

% Rights restricted by copyright. See
% http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html

inetnum:     195.120.110.128 - 195.120.110.255
netname:     ISTITUTO-ZOOPROFILATTICO
descr:       Istituto Zooprofilattico Sperimentale
descr:       del Lazio e della Toscana
descr:       Center of Roma
country:     IT
admin-c:     GF924-RIPE
tech-c:      GF924-RIPE
status:      ASSIGNED PA
notify:      network@cgi.interbusiness.it
mnt-by:      INTERB-MNT
changed:     cgiadmin@cgi.interbusiness.it 19980915
source:      RIPE

route:       195.120.0.0/16
descr:       INTERBUSINESS
origin:      AS3269
advisory:    AS690 1:701 2:1800
mnt-by:      INTERB-MNT
changed:     cgiadmin@cgi.interbusiness.it 19960604
source:      RIPE

person:      Giancarlo Ferrari
address:     Ist. Zooprofilattico Sper. Lazio e Toscana
address:     V. Appia Nuova, 1411
address:     I- 00178 Roma (RM)
address:     Italy
phone:       +39 6 79099460