[linux-elitists] WHOIS queries blocked by ripe.net

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Sat Apr 14 15:34:02 PDT 2001

Received a spam, did my usual spam response (Perl tool called Ricochet
which parses headers, submission of IP to the ORBS relay check list),
and ran a WHOIS to find who the upstream provider of the apparent direct
source of the spam was.  Got the following in response:

    [karsten@navel:karsten]$ whois 195.120.110.130

    % Rights restricted by copyright. See
    % http://www.ripe.net/ripencc/pub-services/db/copyright.html

    ******************************
    * A C C E S S    D E N I E D *

    Access to whois service at whois.ripe.net was **DENIED**
    Your host (209.179.245.236) is blocked from RIPE database access
    due to recent excessive querying or other abusive behaviour.
    For more information please contact ripe-dbm@ripe.net

I'm not familiar with ripe.net (hadn't heard of them before).  I'm on a
dynamic dialup IP with persistant redialing, current connection was
established at about 7:30 this morning.  Unless I may have walked into
an IP held by someone mucking with the system previously.

Anyone else seen WHOIS registrars acting in this fashion recently?