[linux-elitists] GPG luser rant

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Fri Apr 13 10:25:51 PDT 2001

on Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 09:40:59AM -0400, Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO (ruben@www2.mrbrklyn.com) wrote:

> > Hell, if Microsoft can push the state of the art by forcing
> > compatibility issues, why can't I?
> >

> Because then I won't be able to read your mail...

False.  Read RFC 2015.

The mime encoding of a signed message is inline, quoted-printable.  The
message paylode is cleartext, plain ASCII.  While noncompliant MUAs may
not handle the encoding properly, the message exists, and can be read in
any text-capable editor or viewer.

The only exceptions are:

  - Users or sites which refuse to open attachments, a case of paranoia
    and ignorance.  This needs to be addressed as an educational issue,
    part of the rationale for this FAQ.

  - Users or sites which strip attachments from emails -- this appears
    to be actual practice in some quarters.  I address this specifically
    as the inline rant on the FAQ.

'Nother words:  the message is present and can be read, unless
nonstandard actions are taken on the part of the recipient.

Cheers.