[linux-elitists] DCMA II

Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO ruben@www2.mrbrklyn.com
Thu Apr 12 17:35:37 PDT 2001

None of the carve outs of the DMCA have been upheld in court or
properly addressed by the  Copyright office.  In fact, the
success the DMCA has had on carving out Libraries fair usage, has
encouraged and emboldened the Publishing business to try to
eliminate library specific protections by hiring that great
bleeding heart libral of Colorado - Pat Schroeder - as it's
mouth piece in Washingtom.

Things are more percarious at this point, then most release.

By this time next year linux might be for practicle purposes, a
novel memory of the past as no hardware will be available for it for
the desktop, and printed academic material exinct and replaced by
DMCA protected DVD's.

We need to counter move NOW.

Ruben

> on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:48:06PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> > begin  Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO quotation:
> >
> > > Here is the Key ISSUE to focus on...
> >
> > Libraries.  Get the Little Old Lady lobby up in arms by harping on what
> > the elimination of fair use it's poised to do to libraries.
>
> I believe that there were specific carve-outs in the EU legislation, as
> in the US.  Yes.  From the Reg:
>
>     Like the American Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the
>     Directive makes an absolute mockery of fair use, creating specific
>     exceptions only for libraries and schools, and placing the entire
>     process of making source material available in the hands of the
>     copyright owners.
>
>     http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/6/18255.html
>
> One quibble.  Tom says "copyright owners".  I suspect he means
> "vendors", not "authors".  Though EU has an interesting philosophy of
> author's moral rights, this might be an interesting avenue.
>
> Cheers.
>
> --
> Karsten M. Self <kmself@ix.netcom.com>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/
>  What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?       There is no K5 cabal
>   http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/         http://www.kuro5hin.org

[application/pgp-signature is not supported, skipping...]