[linux-elitists] DCMA II

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 12 17:16:28 PDT 2001

on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:13:20PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> begin  Karsten M. Self quotation:
>
> > I believe that there were specific carve-outs in the EU legislation, as
> > in the US.  Yes.  From the Reg:
>
> The trick is to realise that this is a shell game:  The law may allow
> libraries (in theory, maybe) to employ "circumvention devices", but
> simultaneously ensures that they'll be somewhere between impractical
> and impossible to acquire or use.  And, besides, the law shelters the
> publishing/entertainment industries' data-obfuscation _mechanisms_ that
> will tend to put libraries out of business, and cut off their ability to
> properly use and preserve even public-domain works.

Dunno.  The library establishment is relatively powerful, as copyright
interests go, though narrow in scope.  It's principally academic
research centers, at least in the US, or so I'm given to understand.
The press also gets involved, see feressample the Tasini case and one of
the NPR archivists who's doing Amicus for the Times.

I've got a contact I'll run this past to get some input on.  She's with
the University of California's Digital Library, set me up with a
girlfriend a decade or so back....

Cheers.