[linux-elitists] DCMA II

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 12 17:03:55 PDT 2001

on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 01:48:06PM -0700, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> begin  Brooklyn Linux Solutions CEO quotation:
>
> > Here is the Key ISSUE to focus on...
>
> Libraries.  Get the Little Old Lady lobby up in arms by harping on what
> the elimination of fair use it's poised to do to libraries.

I believe that there were specific carve-outs in the EU legislation, as
in the US.  Yes.  From the Reg:

    Like the American Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the
    Directive makes an absolute mockery of fair use, creating specific
    exceptions only for libraries and schools, and placing the entire
    process of making source material available in the hands of the
    copyright owners.

One quibble.  Tom says "copyright owners".  I suspect he means
"vendors", not "authors".  Though EU has an interesting philosophy of
author's moral rights, this might be an interesting avenue.

Cheers.