[linux-elitists] Hard drive recovery in L.A. area

Dan Wilder dan@ssc.com
Thu Apr 12 11:35:37 PDT 2001

On Wed, 11 Apr 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> I'd rely on something else or start by nuking my GPG keys required to
>
> The canonical procedure is to mount your media in a box full of thermite
> with redundant mechanical/electrical ignitors. This reliably turns
> whatever magnetical or optical bits you had into a pool of white hot lava
> in the course of few 10 s.

I'd have thought you could accomplish nearly the same effect
at less cost, and without having to find a location where a
box full of thermite would not attract unwanted attention, by the
careful application of a suitable hammer to the disk drives.

Though the drama of igniting that boxful of thermite might be
worthwhile in its own right!

What was it the news reports said the crew of the spy plane
used, in the recent incident near China?  Pickaxes?!?

--
Dan Wilder <dan@ssc.com>