[linux-elitists] DCMA II

Karsten M. Self kmself@ix.netcom.com
Thu Apr 12 02:34:00 PDT 2001

The good news is that the United States has ceded its sole claim to
idiocy in the field of asinine IP protections in the area of copyright.

The bad news is that it's because of competition for that role from the
EU.

The Register's Tom Greene has a nice writeup of some shitty news,
passage of the analog of the US DMCA by the EC's invertebrate ministers
in the Augue.  Look, it's my feet, I've got dropped haitches.

Find it here:

    EU Sanctifies Copyrights a la DMCA

Mind you, there's some stomach-turning language in there, best take this
*after* you've fortified yourself with that morning cuppa joe:

    "Firstly, right-holders have complete control over the manufacture,
    distribution, etc. of devices designed to circumvent anti-copying
    devices. A more flexible solution in this regard would have carried
    a greater risk of abuse and piracy."

Bartender, I'll have a cocktail.  Molotov.  Better make that a double.

Cheers.