[linux-elitists] Hard drive recovery in L.A. area

Ben Woodard ben@valinux.com
Wed Apr 11 21:01:04 PDT 2001

> Extensive recovery of deleted drives -- once you get into
> force/tunneling magnetic microscopy (ams MSM, MFM, or MTM), you start
> getting bills in the 10k-100k region, median about 30k.  This involves
> going over the disk surface with a microscope looking for the traces of
> patterns left even after multiple overwrites of data.  The Chinese are
> probably getting really good at this right now.

I think that the situation that I was thinking of the physical media
was damaged by an extensive head crash and so they had to open up the
drive, blow out the magnetic dust from the crash, remount the
platters, on a drive with special heads, then read between the tracks
to find the data on the margins of what used to be the tracks. Then
reassemble the data from the rest of the raid array.

-ben