[linux-elitists] suboptimal smarthost

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Thu Apr 5 11:08:29 PDT 2001

Attention Linux elitists:

First, point of order. The reason that your favorite mail program dumps
you into an editor with > prepended to every line of the message you're
replying to is _not_ so that you can write a reply and leave most
or all of the quoted text. When you post to this list, it is _your_
responsibility to trim the quoted text to an appropriate amount. For new
subscribers, one warning then you go in the box. For current subscribers
this is your warning. As always, if you have any questions about list
policy, please mail me off-list.

I'm finally able to reconcile "Don't use a nameserver on the other
end of a WAN link from your box" and "Don't run BIND if you don't
have to." The new incarnation of my laptop (ReiserFS kicks ass) is
running pdnsd, which is hella easy to set up. (Yes, I said "hella"
but what's worse I said "impact" as a verb last night at SVLUG --
somebody cattleprod me for verbing nouns.) Anyway, the new laptop
nameserver of choice is, as I mentioned on this list before, pdnsd:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Moestl/ or just "apt-get install pdnsd" for
you lazy Debian bastards out there. Thanks again to Raghavendra Bhat for
turning this list on to pdnsd. All hail.

I think I'm going to take Chris DiBona's advice and lose the old 2Mbps
ZoomAir card and pick up a Lucent card like the ones all the stylish
kernel hackers are sporting.

 CONFIG_PCMCIA_HERMES:

 A driver for "Hermes" chipset based PCMCIA wireless adaptors, such
 as the Lucent WavelanIEEE/Orinoco cards and their OEM (Cabletron/
 EnteraSys RoamAbout 802.11, ELSA Airlancer, Melco Buffalo and others).
 It should also be usable on various Prism II based cards such as the
 Linksys, D-Link and Farallon Skyline. It should also work on Symbol
 cards such as the 3Com AirConnect and Ericsson WLAN.

And I forgot all about this relay check I did last month. How bout them

----- Forwarded message from dmarti@zgp.org -----