[linux-elitists] Andrew Leonard Is A Gob-Waggling Dink

Mr.Bad mr.bad@pigdog.org
Tue Apr 3 23:31:42 PDT 2001

What a nutless boob!

        http://www.salon.com/tech/col/leon/2001/04/02/napster_march/index.html

        "Don't march for Napster, or for file-sharing. Not only is it
        just not worth it, but to do so would be an insult to the
        people who have marched for causes that represented something
        a little bit more meaningful than whether or not you can grab
        the newest Eminem track from the Net without paying for it."

So, no marches allowed again, ever? Unless it's for something at least
as meaningful if not more so than, say, desegregation or stopping a
war? Is Coretta Scott King going to weep briny tears if people march
for information freedom? Christ. Who gave this dink a pen? He's gonna
poke his stupid gibbering eye out.

The legacy of previous battles in the streets should not be that we
all sit in our homes, afraid to go out and voice our opinions because
it might "insult" someone else who's protested before. That's not what
fighting for Free Speech is about! Diggity DAMN, people should
exercise that right ALL THE TIME, because folks we respect like hell
worked real hard to get it and preserve it. March for more parking
spaces! March for tastier beer selections! Picket for Esperanto in
public schools!  Protest a meeting of the dog-fanciers' society! HIT
the STREETS, MOBS of AMERICA. Black 6-year-olds were mauled by attack
dogs to earn you the right to carry a picket sign -- not exercising
that right is the height of obscenity.

Maybe somebody should tell Andrew Leonard, Brilliant Genius Voice of
the Fucking Free Software World Why Yes I -AM- Writing A Book Actually
Glad You Asked Gar Gar Gar, that freedom is not lost all in one
stroke. It's bit by bit, chink by chink, and each little chink seems
meaningless, stupid, and unimportant.

Some dipshit loses his funny domain name? No big deal. Content taken
off the Web due to legal harassment? Pfft, wasn't that funny
anyways. Dorky file-sharing system with intrusive ads and crap music
shuts down? Good riddance. Email filtering on the trunk lines? Ha,
that's just an urban legend. Some old lady had to give up her seat on
the bus? Huh?  They're sending advisors, C-rations and pickup trucks
to some teeny weeny brown-people country somewhere? So?

And so on, and so on, and so on.

Jesux Peezux, I'm just hopping mad. What does he think *is* an
appropriate response to aggressive litigation? More grimy sniveling
from a twerp like C. Scott Ananian? "I, John Q. Citizen, do solemnly
swear by the oath of the Model Rocketeers' Society to sit down and be
quiet and let other people who are smarter and more authoritative than
me fight my battles, amen." Christ.

Marching, demonstrating, picketing and protesting are THE way to
legitimize opposition. First off, it's the big step of commitment. Are
you just gonna sit there and bitch, or are you going to put your money
where your mouth is? Just getting off your duff and standing in the
middle of the street with a hand-lettered posterboard, walking around
like a goon, means you're willing to act like a doofus for what you
believe in. Do you care enough to look uncool? That's a lot of caring.

Second, it's NEWSWORTHY. "'Net Grumpy Over Napster Suit" doesn't make
good TV. Those folks from channel 4 get real bored pointing a vidcam
at a CRT with a Lycos Chat Room message from "loves2fish229" saying "I
M REEL MAD ABOT THE NAPSTURR!!!1!!" But weird cyberpunks in leather
and crazy guys with Unix beards storming through the streets of San
Francisco, to surround and embarass some unwitting combatant hiding
behind a shield of anonymity, though?  Now THAT is news. Get truck 3
down there now! Send Dianne Dwyer! And see if you can get a shot of
some hippy punker girl with no bra on!

But lastly, it's MEET and RIGHT to walk the streets because the fight
for information freedom IS parallel to those other battles of
yesterday. Highlighting that parallel, even in a semi-mocking way,
strikes an important chord in people's minds. It's a way of saying,
YES, the fight for online freedom is in some way equivalent with
anti-war protests. YES, you can compare it to 60s civil rights. YES,
there are important issues at hand, and YES, there are folks who are
pissed off about them enough to hit the streets. YES, it matters. YES,
Don Marti is Mohandas K. Gandhi on crack. OKAY, that last one went a
little too far, but you know what I mean.

But, of course, gutless simpering twats like Andrew Leonard wouldn't
know about that. This Fuckin' Guy. This Fuckin' Guy! Look at this
Fuckin' Guy!

        http://images.salon.com/col/src/aleonard.gif

Smirkin' GIF-usin' alternad00d, tellin' it like it is. Cripes. Did you
know they sell those sensitive-guy beards in 5 different gourmet
flavors down at Starbuck's now?  Learn to be a Real Journalist, you
goateed HACK!

Man, when Salon.com folds like an origami crane, he better not bring
his resume around the door of PDJ, that's all I got to say.

~Mr. Bad