[linux-elitists] MS Office for RH

Heather star@betelgeuse.starshine.org
Mon Apr 2 16:14:00 PDT 2001

> <<Oha! use an imagemap
> Actually - that is not a good solution either.  Instead, the gimp has
> plugins now to chop up the images into HTML.
>
> Ruben

okay, to be specific, a USEMAP is more easily implemented (and honored
even by curmudgeons like lynx) - a client side imagemap program which
correctly deals with browsers that can't give location with their click
is actually still around (are web servers still that stupid, that they
need the booser pack?), and you *could* always just use a quick table
with hotlinked words in it, saving some screen estate for REAL content,
if your site has any.

Having words in graphic form just so you can force a font on your visitors
is annoying and a sure sign of a lamer, or a marketing department.

oh wait, this was supposed to be *linux* elitists, not web elitists.  Never
mind.

Ob Linux: sometime next week I'm going to try Conectiva on something around
the house, I really want to see if their rpm-ish apt-get works as nicely
as debian's does.  Also want to check if it accepts .debs too, that'll make
my usual abuses of packaging systems so much easier.

* Heather * Not all who own a harp are harpers.  -- Marcus Terentius Varro