Fwd: Re: Fwd: [linux-elitists] Wow, M$ is even more evil than I thought <- [Response #2]

Aaron Lehmann aaronl@vitelus.com
Mon Apr 2 13:39:53 PDT 2001

Maybe Bryan should subscribe so we can end this Fwd: Re: Fwd: business
and get the threading right.

Let me know if you're sick of getting forwarded his responses.

----- Forwarded message from Bryan-TheBS-Smith <thebs@theseus.com> -----

From: Bryan-TheBS-Smith <thebs@theseus.com>
Date: Mon, 02 Apr 2001 16:40:01 -0400
To: Aaron Lehmann <aaronl@vitelus.com>, dmarti@zgp.org
CC: elug-eluglist@elug.org, leaplist@lists.leap-cf.org
Subject: Re: Fwd: [linux-elitists] Wow, M$ is even more evil than I thought <-
 [Response #2]

Aaron Lehmann forwarded:
> ----- Forwarded message from Don Marti <dmarti@zgp.org> -----
> <ianal>This is bullshit. The classic free software licenses cannot be
> revoked by the copyright holder. If they were, all free software would
> be no freer than q...l, and there would be no OpenSSH in its present
> form. (I know OpenSSH is under the BSD license, but same principle.)
> The Cyber Patrol case was an example of blatant legal harassment -- Cyber
> Patrol had no case, and neither the original author nor the asignee had
> any power to take back anything granted under GPL.</ianal>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

[ Again, please forward to the appropriate list ]

As far as OpenSSH, I was under the impression it was a "clean room"
version -- totally reverse engineered.  Same with GnuPG.  Or didn't
you know *THAT* was what GNU was all about?   "Clean room"
versions!  (I know, OpenSSH not GNU, but same priniple).  You can
reverse engineer all you want -- so the copyright on your
implementation is _all_yours_!

In the case of "classic free software" -- do you really think the
"original copyright holders" are the companies that make the
commercial versions???  Hmmm ... interesting ...  That's also why
GNU started!  To get copyright holders the right to keep their
software free software!  AT&T and BSD didn't own the copyright to
some of their own, commercial software!

-- TheBS

P.S.  Side note:  OpenSSH is getting "sticky" with the SSH
trademark, but that's unrelated -- which is the point you were
trying to make.

--
Bryan "TheBS" Smith          chat:thebs413 @AOL/MSN/Yahoo
Engineer      mailto:b.j.smith@ieee.org,thebs@theseus.com