[linux-elitists] Wow, M$ is even more evil than I thought

mike@jurney.org mike@jurney.org
Mon Apr 2 13:06:04 PDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Aaron Lehmann wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:52:41PM -0700, Don Marti wrote:
> > <ianal>This is bullshit. The classic free software licenses cannot be
> > revoked by the copyright holder. If they were, all free software would
> > be no freer than q...l, and there would be no OpenSSH in its present
> > form. (I know OpenSSH is under the BSD license, but same principle.)
>
> Perhaps. But what really counts is it gives Microsoft free rights to
> your code. They could embed your GPL'd code in proprirtary software,
> or about anything they wanted.
>
> Sigh, I kept TELLING the losers I knew who sent patches via hotmail to
> stop being weenies.

Or (and in my opinion _much_ more importantly) they could review the
minutes of your companies strategy meetings as stored in a .NET/hailstorm
groupware application.  They could then, from what I understand, take
advantage of whatever information contained in those minutes and put you
out of business.  Normally, I think this is illegal, but the right to your
own information is signed away as part of the usage agreement carried by
the Passport service.

Code is a secondary concern, as far as I can tell.

--
Michael D. Jurney
mike@jurney.org