[linux-elitists] Wow, M$ is even more evil than I thought

Don Marti dmarti@zgp.org
Mon Apr 2 12:52:41 PDT 2001

begin  Aaron Lehmann quotation of Mon, Apr 02, 2001 at 12:37:50PM -0700:

> ----- Forwarded message from Bryan-TheBS-Smith <thebs@theseus.com> -----

....snip...

> GPL DOES NOT OVERRIDE YOUR COPYRIGHTS (NOR YOUR ABILITY TO ASSIGN
> THEM TO OTHERS)
>
> Now you may think the GPL (and/or other GNU licensed works like the
> LGPL, FDL, etc...) protects your work.  What you may not realize is
> that Copyright Law is the _ultimate_ law.  The software that cracked
> the encryption (really "uglification") and revealed the follies of
> popular "Internet Filtering" software were perfect examples.  The
> software was released GPL, but then revoked later.  How?  Because
> the creators ultimately have "all rights reserved" to their
> copyright, and can revoke any license at any time (like they did
> when the popular filtering software vendors bought the rights).
> When you post, upload or otherwise transmit through a
> Passport.COM-enabled service, you are effectively giving Microsoft
> a non-exclusive, "blank 'copyright' check" to use your work.

<ianal>This is bullshit. The classic free software licenses cannot be
revoked by the copyright holder. If they were, all free software would
be no freer than q...l, and there would be no OpenSSH in its present
form. (I know OpenSSH is under the BSD license, but same principle.)

The Cyber Patrol case was an example of blatant legal harassment -- Cyber
Patrol had no case, and neither the original author nor the asignee had
any power to take back anything granted under GPL.</ianal>